Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Close-mindedness. How's that working out for you?

As voting day comes to a close, it reminds me of a subject that a colleague and I were discussing the other day. Close-mindedness. I mean, everyone knows what I am talking about here, especially as it relates to politics. You're a liberal. Your friend is a conservative. You try to convey your ideas, thoughts, or opinions to your friend but they just won't listen. ARGGGH!

So, as a self-proclaimed open-minded individual, where does being close-minded get you? I am not talking about having convictions, or having strong values that you stand behind. That, I get. But at what point do you close your mind and make the decision that no matter what the individual you are speaking with says, you are not going to listen, entertain, or even acknowledge his/her thoughts or opinions? Or better yet, you decide to berate the individual for having a different opinion than yours.

I love variety. I love diversity. I know when I think I am right, I can be a bit stubborn (many can attest to that). But I also know that differing viewpoints and perspectives on matters help to create the most whole truth that there can be. And therein lies the true value of being open-minded: knowledge.

Knowledge and wisdom are power. So maybe we should open our minds a bit man and see the world in a whole new way.
 
 
 
 
“The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.”
― Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment