Saturday, November 3, 2012

On Caring

The inspiration for this post came from a conversation I recently had on a 3 hour flight. The random encounter was nothing short of miraculous, but I'll spare those details here. The important part was the outcome and my realization of the importance of a basic concept. Caring.

We all work with, or in some way interact with people who care and people who don't. The way these interactions look are drastically different. Customer service is a great example. If someone cares about you, about the product they are selling or fixing, about the end result of the interaction, this comes through. A caring individual goes the extra mile to ensure a positive outcome. A caring person shows empathy. A caring person works hard to make sure that whatever they care about is shown in a positive light in the end.

Juxtaposition this caring person with someone who doesn't. Not caring can manifest itself in a number of ways. Avoidance. Sabotage. Poor performance. When you want to get something done, a noncaring individual is the worst kind of person to deal with.

What determines how much you care? Is it your circumstance? Your personality? Your outlook on life?

I am a passionate person. When I don't care about something it's blatantly obvious (I can't help it!). And when I care, it's obvious too. So, I surround myself with people and things I care about. And let my care shine.
(Here I am receiving a customer service award this year. Cheesy I know).

No comments:

Post a Comment